Pages

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Fill 'er up!

The less the filler - the more valuable the car becomes - in street lingo - "latang-lata". But using body filler a.k.a. Bondo in the states and polituff in the philippines whenever doing car restorations is inevitable as there will always be highs and lows in your car's body work that would need to be fixed.

Voxy has her share of bumps, dents and bruises and needs the ever dependable filler to "cure" (hide?) them. Applying body filler properly is harder than it looks since it requires a lot sanding. I have tried to apply body filler on several DIY projects in the past and was not that successful - so this is a crucial part of the Voxy project for me.



Tip: I used Polituff on past projects and it was okay but heard from some of the forums that Glasurit is better - when I found out that it just costs 20 pesos more than polituff, I decided to give it a try and was happy that I did! Glasurit is "creamier" and easier to apply than Polituff. Since it is easier to spread on the car's body, I get a more uniform coat which is easier to sand :)

Applied a thin amount of filler on the roof to even out the parts where I scrapped off the paint.

Sanded it down to even out the surface. I started by using 120 grit then progressed to 280 then 400. It is important to use different grits as continuously using 120 will eat all of your filler and you end up where you started. Using a finer grit like 400 when you still have a lot of filler to sand down will take you longer.
Tip: I scoop out enough amount of filler from the can set it on a paper plate - this way  I don't have to continuously get filler from the can and risk contaminating it will hardener and dirt.
Part of the water channel/gutter was eaten by rust - I applied some non sag epoxy first then evened it out with a little amount of filler.

Voxy's decklid and rear had their fair share of filler to cover up the little dents.

After hours of sanding - I was satisfied with how the body looks - time to work on those rusted fenders next :(

No comments:

Post a Comment