Pages

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Extending the Last Supper!

My family loves to eat.  We’ve have always had big appetites and Mama always made it a point that there is always something to eat at the dinner table. Because of this, the dining table has witnessed numerous family bonding sessions. Being a religious family, Mama and Papa hung a Last Supper wall décor  a couple of years ago. Recently, I have noticed that there were cracks along in its edges that’s starting to spread . I decided that I better do something to prevent further damage to this wall décor.  Restoring this will not only add years to it and but will bring an impact to the way our dining room looks.



Here’s some shots of the cracks 


I think this is made of resin, plaster and fiber glass – leaving these cracks unrepaired is like leaving a disease untreated, it will only worsen with time.. An ounce of prevention is always better than  a pound of cure! :)


 Aside from the cracks – it has also lost its luster and shine – we’ll deal with that later.


 I used some wall putty to fill in the cracks. I could have also used some of my left over body filler from my Voxy project but I figured that this dries faster and is easier to apply and mold.  

 
This wall putty usually costs around 60 to 80 pesos and does wonders on cracks in concrete walls and wooden furniture. 

 
This is so easy to apply that even Mama  took a shot at it :)

 
Filled up all the cracks on both edges .

 
After the putty dries – time to smooth out the surface by sanding it lightly. The putty is so easy to sand – I used a 400 grit sand paper to avoid overdoing it.


I first laid on some Gold Spray paint..
 
 
 .. then lightly sprayed some black in order to be consistent with the rest of the rustic wooden theme  TIP: I used some left over rattle can paints for this project.  You could also buy paint by the ml in most paint shops – around 20 to 30 pesos per 60ml jar and apply with a small brush.

  
 The end result looks pretty good. 

 
Here’s how it looks like after spraying on several coats of clear coat – that definitely brought back its shine! This supper just got extended! :)
  
Not bad for a project that took only 2 hours to complete. :) YES! You can fix your old wall decors!

No comments:

Post a Comment