Pages

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Fixing my Lancer's Horn

Finally, A DIY for my lancer!

I’ve been having problems with my lancer’s horn button for quite some time now. The wire from the horn button to the steering wheel’s horn adapter keeps on getting pulled out I’ve repeatedly tried to solder it back in place, even to the extent of using a thicker gauge wire and some heavy duty terminals, but the story is the same after a couple of weeks. I got fed up of fixing it on a regular basis and decided to analyze the cause of the problem once and for all. TIP: Understand how the system works will definitely help you fix the problem.


Here’s my steering wheel 


After removing the 6 allen head screws – we can now take the SW out. Notice that there are two wires attached to the horn button.  If I understand it correctly, wire 1 gets grounding from the body and every time the button is pressed, grounding is supplied to the horn hub of the SW adapter (which is directly connected to the horns)  through wire 2. TIP: Always center the steering wheel when removing it so that you could return it in the same place – it is frustrating to find out that the SW is not centered when you’re doing your test drive :) 


Here’s the” problematic” wire (A) and is connected to the horn hub of the SW adaptor (B). 


Removed the steering column housing (held in place by 3 screws located underneath it) – this should give me a better view of everything and hopefully help me figure out how to fix this.


Since I am no longer using the stock OEM SW – my SW is bolted to the column using this adaptor.

ATTEMPT NUMBER 1 - FAIL

 TIP: You don't get it the right the first time :)


 I bought a meter of gauge 16 wire – this is thicker than the usual wires used in horns


I plan bypass the adapter and just connect the wire directly to the “connector”  I found out that  the OEM horn wire is connected to this.

 
Coiled the wire around the column so that it will have some slack and allowance when the steering wheel is turned.

It is advisable to double check and see everything when doing modifications like this – after having a second look at it – I’m not feeling too confident  with this setup fearing that the wire might get pulled out again an decided  to scrap the idea.

ATTEMPT  NUMBER 2

I turned the steering wheel adapter a couple of times and saw that the horn adapter (part B in the previous picture) is not turning when I turn the steering wheel – this causes the horn wire to get  pulled out! 


There are no broken clips and plastic so I don’t know if this should turn with the steering wheel or not – but I figured that the horn adapter needs to be fixed on the SW adapter so that it will turn with it easing the wire of the stress.



Replaced the horn wire – and soldered it back to the horn adapter.



Used some hot melt glue on the horn adapter – this will fasten the horn adapter and the SW adapter together.

Placed everything back in place –


Problem fixed! – it has been almost a month since I fixed my lancer’s horn and had no problems with it since then.  I can really say that the problem has been fixed! Wohoo!



 P.S. As a result of all the turning I did - I placed the SW sideways - imagine driving with the wheels straight and the SW like this - very distracting.. :)

Yes! You can fix your car’s horn!



No comments:

Post a Comment