Pages

Friday, January 20, 2012

Nothing more than "Peelings" ?

I thought that it was clear skies all the way for me with this project but I was wrong. As I was removing the newspaper that covered my windshields and windows, I realized that there were areas where the paint and the newspaper/tape has already fused and removing the latter results to big problems.


The white line you see in this picture are not all light reflections - some of them are the primer :( In my excitement to remove the tape, some of the paint was peeled off :(

In an attempt to prevent further damage, I outlined the windows'/windshields' shape first with a box cutter before removing the newspaper and masking tape. Unfortunately there were times when the edges would really get damaged.

Since these "peeled" areas are noticable and ruins the overall looks of Voxy, I had to deal with them :(

I remember reading in one of the online tutorials that you could separate the windshield's rubber from the body by gently raising it with a small scraper and inserting a nylon cord in between them. I didn't pay too much attention to it since this was never highlighted in the other materials I've read and watched. Turns out this is a must for Voxy!
 

These nylon ropes are cheap and can be purchased at any hardware. Start at one corner and insert the nylon rope in between. TIP: The rope should be thick enough to do the job :)


Work your way carefully around the windshield/window. TIP: Don't lift up the rubber too much as it may get cut. You also have to check the condition of your rubber trimmings - sometimes they are already too brittle to be lifted and can crack/crumble to pieces if you still attempt to do so. in cases like these - consider having the rubber trimmings replaced after the paint job.


Make sure that you leave a couple of inches of rope outside as you will be using this to as starting point when you remove them later on.


Time to mask off the windows again - since the trimmings are already lifted outwards,it easier to sneak in the tape in between.

 
A shot of how the entire thing works - see that they are already apart. Paint can also creep under the rubbers which is a plus :) 

Wait for the paint to completely dry before removing the newspaper and the nylon rope. Be very careful as you might ruin the edges again.


 Here's a shot of the repaired edges - problem solved! :)


This has turned out to be a time consuming and costly mistake. TIP: Since I didn't have any more red paint left, I had to buy some more. Make sure you leave a quart or more of your base coat when repainting your car - this is your back up in case things like this happens :)

 
Now that everything's assembled back together - time to  wait for the paint to completely dry out so that we could buff it out to a car show shine!

On my next post, I'll show you how to buff your car without professional buffing machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment