Pages

Monday, January 30, 2012

Archie's Voxy

To remind everyone of how Voxy looked when I first got her...



This has been a very long and tiring project that often times made me wonder "Did I bite more than I could chew? But the drive to restore Voxy and the yearning for a sense of pride that I did it all by myself (almost - had a little help from my angels who helped me in sanding.. read about it here..) kept me going..


After months of working after office hours, during the weekends, restdays and free time.. finally, Voxy is not only a road worthy bug but a ride I could be proud of! :)

There are definitely lessons learned the hard way in Voxy's paint job. As you can see, the imperfections are really not visible - I tried to take my time in this project - took me months to finish this - but my enthusiasm and eagerness sometimes led me to take shortcuts - something that is a big NO NO!


There are some patches on the roof and hood that are almost "invisible" to the common eye.. but in the eyes of those who are into carshow detail - they will surely stick out like a sore pimple.


I can't stress it enough - a good paint job will always depend on how well you have prepared your surface - it makes all the difference. Lesson : Do it right the first time - spend a little more time sanding - add another coat of filler, sand it down some more - don't be lazy! and no - the primer won't fill up those highs and lows on the body -  hammer it down and/or add some filler - make sure everything is evened out before applying your paint.


I can say that the project came out okay - infact - it is what you'd expect from someone's first try at painting a car (I may have even exceeded what is expected from a newbie) hehe Voxy looks amazing!

At times, I can't help but think - If I had a bit more patient and spent a little more time - I may have produced a car worthy of winning carshows :) But hey - it is what it is and I am satisfied with the way Voxy turned out . I  have already received compliments from the parking attendants and tollbooth girls about the way Voxy - this together with the smiles (and pendongs) I see when Voxy and I drive by - are enough for me :)

TIP: Never wax a newly painted car - you to wait atleast 3-6 months before you apply waxes and creams. According to numerous internet sources - waxes prevent your paint surface from "breathing" and prevents the venting out of paint solvents.

One thing I've learned over the years is that car/motorcycle projects never end - you will always have something to do and tinker on - it can be  fixing your horn ( I've had my share of this), detailing your engine, or removing your tints - the projects are endless! This blog will showcase my DIY projects (past and present) - this blog will not end with Voxy's washover  but rather started with it - stay tuned for more.  Hopefully, this blog inspires you to do things (fix your ride, house, gadgets, etc) on your own (whenever you can) and not rely on professionals :) ( I hope you also get the inspiration to share this blog to your friends and family - sharing is caring) You not only save money but get that sense of accomplishment. Always remind yourself that like Archie - Yes! You can! :)



P.S. Let this project serve as a tribute to the late Eleazar Hidalgo  (my Tito Ely) - the original VW fanatic in our family - having owned 5 VW bugs and 1 Sakbayan in his lifetime. A brilliant engineer, a great brother and a good uncle who promised numerous times to buy the new Voxy for a million if ever he wins the lottery. We will definitely miss you! Pakikulit si God na alagaan kaming lahat lalo na si Mama.


Rest in Peace
August 13, 1943- January 25, 2012

4 comments:

  1. Yeah your bug definitely looks cool. Post more about it. I would love to see current sate of it. And my your uncle RIP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Thanks for reading! The bug looks the same today :) I restored Voxy just last year :) You could click on the pictures to get a better view :)

      Delete
  2. nice ride! is voxy available for rent? I've been looking for a beetle near tagaytay. please email me for details.. astig_aq@yahoo.com thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jerico! I just read this comment today.. Email sent! I'm open to renting out Voxy. Let's talk about the details :)

    ReplyDelete