Pages

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Dealing with the details :)

Applied several layers of top coat on Voxy. I used up 4 liters of Anzahl carshow clear - didn't skimp out on the top coat as this will allow me to buff the paint job aggresively once it has dried up. Having layers and layers of top coat will also allow me to re-buff the surface a few years down the road to renew its shine. I was supposed to use just the regular anzhal clear but was advised to use the carshow clear instead as it guarantees a "car show' and mirror like shine if applied properly.TIP: Some say that although the carshow clear variant produces a shinier and better looking car, it is not as durable and tough as the regular top coat. Before I post pics of the entire car- let me share with you first  the attention I've put in the little details that I feel will have huge impact in the end result.


I previously applied rubberized undercoating on my wheel wells and was supposed to top it off with Anzhal fire red (body color) but decided to brush on some of the left over enamel paint I have (used this paint in the interiors project documented here ) instead to save up on costs(saved me around a liter of urethane = 600 pesos hehe).

I can't leave them looking like these:



 Enamel is fairly easy to brush on - much more if the fenders are removed.


Applied several coats on top of the flat black undercoat I've previously applied.


 Looking very neat and shiny.


 TIP: Mix in enough amounts of paint thinner to make it easier to apply and to save up on paint as well :)


Voxy didn't have a rear bumper when I first got her - fortunately, I was able to get a cheap bumper from the net. Even though it was was still intact and dent free - the paint job was tattered and abused :( I've decided to paint them with silver instead of having them chromed to cut down on costs :)

Scraped off the old paint first.

Used some paint stripper to make the job easier.


Underside of the bumper starting to rust :(

To protect the underside from rusts and to give the bumper a cleaner look I decided to paint it black as well. TIP: Spray on the silver first then just brush on the black paint. This way, you don't need to tape off the silver parts since you won't have any black overspray :)
The vent covers had cracks needed some TLC  - sprayed on black enamel on it. TIP: Enamel takes longer to dry up than usual automotive paint when sprayed on - i think it took me an hour and a half before I could spray on the next coat :) But a liter of Boysen black enamel goes a long way so it was kinda worth it! I was able to paint the inside flooring, the dash, the wheel wells, the underside of the bumpers and the vent covers! That's value for your peso! But it is better brushed on than sprayed :)


More of the little things (lights, rubbers trimmings etc.)on my next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment