Pages

Friday, November 18, 2011

Voxy's Flooring

Decided to start working from the inside of the bug before anything else. After all, I will spend most of my time there when I'm driving the car.

I removed the seats, the matting, and carpeting to give me an idea of the flooring's condition. Fortunately, the flooring was solid and needed no metal work. To make sure that rust doesn't creep in on the nooks and crevices, I applied rust converter first before painting it with black enamel. This gave the interior a clean and rust free finish :)



Tip: I thought that it would be better if I apply pure enamel and not dilute it with paint thinner - I was under the impression that it would give me better protection. This may have worked if I was painting something I could leave under the sun for several days to dry. To my suprise - using "unthinned" enamel paint will lead to longer drying times... as in long. Left my bug for a week since I had to go on a trip and when I came back - the paint was not yet fully dry. :(


After almost a week and a half of leaving the flooring to dry - I thought back on a tip that I got from ClassicVW.com where they suggested a cheap alternative to sound proofing your cabin. Since my bug's engine can be a bit throaty at times - i decided to  sound proof the rear part of the car (the one near the engine) with flashband (bought at ace hardware). I thought that just 1 roll would suffice but i ended up using 5 rolls! Can't help but have this feeling that I could have saved up the money for something else - those flashbands aren't cheap :( .





The flashbands doesn't leave any foul smell and is easy to apply - you just have to press it down hard and make sure that you don't leave any air pockets - this is where rust can start :)


And here's how it looks like finished :)

Next up, the dashboard and rest of the interiors...

2 comments:

  1. DId this help? any notice able deadening in sound?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it helped somehow but this should not be your first priority when restoring your bug. :)

    ReplyDelete