Pages

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Interiors done!

After some thought, I've decided that an all black dashboard can be quite dull. After looking at several VW bug pictures (courtesy of google) I've decided that I'll paint the grills near the speedo and the glove compartment cover with metallic silver. That should give my dash a bit of attitude :)

I was supposed to just paint on top of the existing black grill but observed that  the spaces in between the grills are too narrow - indicating that it already has several layers  of paint. I decided to strip it off the old paint - with the use of stripsol and metal brush - before applying a fresh coat of primer and metallic silver.


Used this brand of paint stripper as it is relatively "stronger" than the other brands  - based on my experience, a little of this stuff goes a long way. TIP: This is a very strong chemical and should be handled with care. Never use this on plastics as it may melt or cause them to warp. It is advisable to apply this using a paint brush, wait for a couple of minutes for the paint to bubble then use a metal brush or paint scrapper to peel off the paint. Have rags ready and be careful with the peeled paint because the paint stripper is still active. This stuff stings once it touches your skin :)


 You can see different layers of paint on the grill( if i remember it correctly - it was red, blue, red and black plus their primers). It's a good thing I've decided to strip the grills of their old paint. I had no idea how to remove the hazard switch from the grill and didn't have the time to google it so I just taped it. I later found out that you can remove it by just unscrewing the flat washer (stupid of me hehe) - mental note - Always research something thoroughly as it makes the job easier.. believe me.. Since I was already at it -  I decided to paint the steering wheel as well (wrapped the letter part in newspaper)

Due to the bug's old age, the fuel gauge is a bit weathered, old, unreadable and unpresentable. I asked several vw shops and found out that a surplus fuel gauge in semi good condition ranges from 800 to 1500 pesos. Ouch! I decided to do a DIY on the gauge first :) I opened up the gauge by prying its cover(the black border) and took out the faded plastic cover. I then went to one of the local glass shops - the ones who do aquariums, windows etc - and asked them if they could copy it for me. Most of them can't do it since it had to be thin and rounded on the corners. I resigned to the thought that I'll replace it clear acetate ( the ones used in oldschool projectors) or laminating films instead but decided to try my luck with a couple more shops and my perseverance paid off - I found one that can do it. In the end, the gauge looks brand new and at the fraction of the cost! :)


Broken switch that had to be replaced and some loose wiring...

Look at how weathered the black paint is...

After some TLC and a new coat of black paint..


 (click on the image to enlarge)






Looks pretty nice isn't it? 

I will definitely enjoy driving this :)

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your interior looks nice.. BTW wheres this bug now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Voxy's still with me :) I drive her around town every week to make sure she's in great shape! :)

      Delete