Pages

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Working Inside the Trunk

Time to work on Voxy's trunk :) As most of you know, VW beetles have their trunks in front - Remember the common joke that the engine has been stolen everytime they open the hood :)

In the case of Voxy - the trunk is also where most of the electrical wirings are and if I'm going to make Voxy a dependable daily driver - I would have to make sure that everything inside the trunk is neat and tidy to prevent electrical problems.


Here's a shot of the trunk during the clean up process - I definitely wouldn't want to pop up the trunk one day and see grass growing inside or worse see rats and frogs getting comfortable there :)


Since the electricals of the volks are okay when I got her, I just had to wrap most of the wires in electrical tape and cable ties. The idea is to group as much of them together to avoid criscross spaghetti looking wirings. I had to add extensions on some of them as they too short to join the "big group". TIP: Before starting, make sure you disconnect the battery terminals to prevent electrical shorts in case you make a mistake

I also took the chance to clean the contacts with sandpaper. This ensures a continuous and stable flow of current on all of the components.


See - It is possible to sit comfortably inside the trunk while working on it.


How quickly time flies when your having fun - its already dark and work continues!


After everything has been tied up (you can still see several wires that are not grouped together since I didn't want to mess with them anymore as I was afraid that I might mess up the wirings) - its time to lay on a fresh coat of black paint to complete my trunk renovation. - I first made sure that the dirt, dust and rust was carefully washed off  (don't forget that these are electricals - use as little amount of water as possible) I used some kerosene on places near the contacts TIP: Make sure you use kerosene in a well ventilated area.


After a couple of coats - everything looks sharp and presentable.


Next up, more of exterior works - watch out!

No comments:

Post a Comment