Pages

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Yes! I can resurrect this bug!

I have recently acquired a 1966 volkswagen beetle and boy was i hooked! :) Bought the unit in running condition but the car was not too presentable (see pics below). Although it had a solid body, decent engine and a freezer like airconditioning - i couldn't resist the urge to put my handyman skills to the test and start tinkering my way towards making this bug the way it was supposed to look (at least from my Point of view) :) I will try to document as best as I can my bug's journey from being a "so-so" bug to becoming a bug that I am proud off! :)

Let me share some of Voxy's (my bug's name) pictures the day i got it.






missing driver side mirrors, patch of peeled paint at the roof, rusted chromes (headlights, signal lights, bumpers, faded hood paint (not obvious :)) broken antenna...






not too shabby interior - faded black dashboard, milky gas gauge (plastic was too abused), scratches in the glove compartment area, rusted handbrake lever and welded shifter.. no idea what the switches are for (the ones below the voltmeter near the steering wheel).. i can definitely see potential here!


Mags and wheels definitely need attention and TLC..





Trunk looks like this unit was flooded or something.. look at the dirt! I swear I could plant some mongo seeds here hehehe





Wheel well is solid metal but abused

plate number seems to justify the bug's age.. but I think the "D" in the middle indicates that it is a duplicate plate.. makes you wonder - what the hell happened to this bug?!? its demoralizing to look at these...


Lights too rusted.. thinking of having these chromed... :)  just might be too expensive


I have not gone through these details when i was looking at the bug.. All I saw was the car's potential  and whenever I saw a defect, I always see through it a thought to myself that I can repair it on my own and wouldn't cost too much.One good example was the dashboard - when i saw the scratches, I thought to myself that it would only take me a quart of black enamel (around 50 pesos), some sandpaper and paint brushes and they would look brand new again...  well easier said than done... :) Follow this blog in the days and weeks to come to see what I mean..




This is a picture of Voxy the day we got her - from a far - the unit looks good and this will keep me going - the thought that after I'm through with it - Voxy will look good up close. I say to myself -YES! I CAN RESURRECT THIS BUG! :)

2 comments:

  1. I came here Via youtube, And started to read As I got my bug on month ago. And now I want to restore it :D. Thanks for the blog this helps aolot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Yohan! Thanks for reading! :) If you have questions or need help in restoring your bug - please feel free to post a question and I'll do my best to help you out :) You could even email me pictures of your bug and Id be glad to post the state of your project here :)

    ReplyDelete