Pages

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

A/C vents repair

Like most old cars, my A/C vents already have several issues. First issue that I'll deal with are the horizontal panes - they are not in sync anymore :(

The vents could be removed through several clips that needs to be lifted up very carefully ( If I'm not mistaken there are 8).

As you can see, the panes used to have a plastic railing that connects them together. This is clearly gone. The panes are now on their own.. :-D


To connect them back together - I will use a plastic board thin yet strong enough to do the job.
After cutting it in shape, I have to put several holes - take note of the distance between the holes as it is critical in this fix.
Since using my power drill is a bit of overkill in making the little holes needed (and I'm too lazy to bring it out of its box) I decided to use my precision screwdriver instead. With a little help from a candle - it pierces through the board like butter.

The right thing to do is to paint this black - but since I don't have any lying around (and I'm too excited to finish this) I decided to cover it permanent marker instead.



Issue number 1 solved!
On to the next problem  - have you ever had the need to insert a folded up piece of paper (the toll or gas receipts are the popular choice) just to keep the vents in place? Welcome to the club :) See the picture above to see what I mean - paper tucked under the vents :-D


Here's why that is happening - the supports that hold the vents in place has already chipped off.


Using the same plastic board - cut a small piece and make a hole big and tight enough to hold the vent...

Afterwards, glue the board where the original support was and you have fully functioning vent again!


Place the vent assembly back in the center panel....


Voila! We're finished! Looks presentable right?

With everything working again - I'm all smiles!

P.S. This cost me only twenty pesos (for the Hazard switch bulb -read about it here) - Still within budget!

Thanks to http://www.mitsulancerph.net/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1207426968 for giving me ideas in how to fix this

2 comments:

  1. I am suffering with the same problem as you. Last Sunday my car's ac was not working properly. Someone suggest me to contact with AC repair Orlando. They have excellent services in repairing AC.

    ReplyDelete