Pages

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Lancer Project - Removing the Center Dash/Console

Back to my Lancer project!

After going through the things that still needs to be done with my Lancer,  I'ved realized its still quite a handful. I'm through with the semi-interior detailing and most of the major repairs (bumpers and semi- washover). Time to add some checks to the list of things that need to be done. Today, I will deal with the center console panel.


As you can see, time has not been good with the center dash - the hazard backlight bulb needs to be replaced ( I miss that little red triangle glow at night ), the A/C vents requires some attention and most importantly the cracks has to be glued together. A part of the console is obviously broken - someone tried to steal my stereo years ago and I guess he didn't know what he was doing. He failed to get what he was after but succeeded in breaking the console :( I hid the damage with a cellhone holder the past couple of years - I guess now's the best time to deal with the problem.


I have to remove the whole center panel to geth things going. In this Lancer model (aka 1996, eggie, hotdog, CB, itlog), the two screws under the vents have to be removed first (marked by the arrows)


Next, the CD player has to be pulled out. I unearthed the "puller" tool that came with it (its usually in the box but I think this is universal - you could borrow one from a friend) and had inserted it on both sides (please see pic). This will release the locks and allow you to pull out the player.


Carefully separate the connectors (and antenna cable).



Before we can pull out the entire panel, there's still one more cable we have to deal with. I don't know what this lever is for  but as you can see - it is connected to a cable that runs down the dash.


Upon checking, I found out that it is connected to a little knob near the gas pedal. Please refer to the picture above.

Removing the cable is fairly easy. You just have to squeeze in underneath the steering column (not that easy for a big guy like me hehe).


Once this is removed, I can now carefully pry out the panel. TIP: Be very careful as you don't want to break the clips - they tend to be brittle - the car's 16 y/o! you can't be too careful.


Once all of the clips has been pried out - the panel could be pulled out carefully but we still have to disconnect the connector for the hazard switch. After this - we have succesfully removed the center dash!


Removed the vents, the tray and hazard switch assembly (through several screws and clips). I will deal with them later. (You can see that the car has been flooded years ago - I'm just fortunate that nothing was damaged! :))


After the parts were cleaned, time to glue them back together. 




I used some super glue to hold them in place and then reinforced them with some clear epoxy and aluminum tabs(the ones in soda cans). Unfortunately, the shots for these are missing. I found that out after the panel has been put back :(


The panel's repaired but it still doesn't look presentable. I'll deal with the cosmetics later.

On my next post  , we'll deal with the hazard switch and A/C vents! Stay tuned! :)

P.S. Thanks to MITSULANCERPH for providing steps on how to remove the center panel - this site gold mine for lancer enthusiasts!



2 comments:

  1. Binuksan ko ung hazard kinuha ko ung bulb then nag tangalin sya ung spring dun sa pwesto ng white naputok ginawan ko ng paraan nung nabalik k n ung switch ayaw na mag signal and hazard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where can I buy dash centre console

    ReplyDelete