Pages

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Carwash (Funwash) at Home!

We're spending the weekends at my in-law's house. It was a lazy Saturday afternoon and with nothing to do - I decided to give Voxy a bath. The monsoon rains we've been experiencing has left her filthy :( and before I can go back to my Lancer project - I better clean her up first. 



Here's what I'll be using - Wash and Wax car shampoo (around 100 pesos in Ace Hardware), chamois ( 40 pesos at bargain chinese stores - same size as those sold for 88 pesos in Daiso),  soft scrubbing pads (for tough dirt/grime - 14 pesos for a 5 pack at chinese stores), old newspapers, rags, sponge (old foam to apply tire black) and a handy brush (to clean the tires) :)

 

I usually start by cleaning the mags and tires first. I  use powdered detergent instead of the car shampoo as I find them more effective in cleaning tires :) I scrub the tire's wall until they are clean of mud and dirt. TIP: Rinse them first  before moving on to the next tire otherwise you might have soap marks that you'd have to scrub off again.


My "new" brother helped me out - thanks Jamie! :) Although the task took twice as long to finish since I had to go over and check what he was doing from time to time - it was FUN!


After the wheels, we're set the clean the whole car. Hose down grime and loose dirt first before shampooing the entire car. TIP: Don't forget to hose the wheel wells/underneath the bumpers as they are prone to "mud buildup" :) - this also prevents corrosion.


We're set for the shampoo!

 

Use high pressure to make bubbles and when you have enough bubbles - release the pressure to allow the bucket to fill up. TIP: You'll end up with only bubbles and very little soap water solution if you don't ease up on the pressure.


Wash the car one panel at a time (i.e. roof first followed by the hood and fenders, and so on) and then rinse off the car shampoo before working on the next panel - as instructed by most car shampoos.

My little helper just couldn't resist the temptation - flowing water + bubbles = instant bath for Jamie! In fact, I also ended up soaked! - now you see why it took twice as long :) Weeee! (This is fun!)

After wiping the car with chamois and allowing it to air dry - you might see water marks like these on your window, windshield and mirrors.TIP: Wipe the glass dry by using crumpled newspapers to avoid watermarks.


You just have to wipe it with a damp cloth...



...and some old newspapers to solve the problem.


Problem solved! (if the watermarks are persistent - you might have to use some rubbing compound to buff it out - this is guaranteed to work!)



All that's left afterwards is to clean the carpets/matting, apply some armor all and then tireblacks. We're done!


Clean enough for me! Great way to spend time with my little brother! Can't wait to do this with my son/daughter (still have to wait a couple of years though :) )




Yes! You Can Funwash your car at home! :)

3 comments:

  1. Wow ! Nice pics collection, Thanks for sharing.
    car wash wall panels

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this excellentpost. It will really help a lot of people.
    plastic car wash panels 

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Blog!! That was amazing. Your thought processing is wonderful. The way you tell the thing is awesome. You are really a master. Thanks for sharing information about car wash panels.

    ReplyDelete