Pages

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Getting Max Ready for Paint!

I have set aside Max’s chassis and focused on the fairings – after all, people won’t see Max’s frame. After everything has been disassembled – time to prepare the surface for painting!



Here’s a close up shot that clearly shows how weathered he has become.


TIP: I was not comfortable in using stripsol for plastics as it might cause it to become brittle or worse, warp.  I decided to use sandpaper of varying grits to make sure that everything has been smoothened out. 

 
Almost ready for paint – as you can see, I sanded down everything only up to the point when it is smooth. Sanding it down too much might eat up the plastic fairing thus affecting Max’s body lines : ) TIP: That's the difference between working with cars (sheet metal) and scooters (plastics) - you risk sanding everything down and thinning out the body too much :)

The front cowl has been sanded down and I made sure that it is as smooth as it can be : )

Washed down everything to make sure that there is no residue/oil left behind.


A panel had cracked and needed some attention. What I did was to apply some epoxy (same as what I did with Voxy here) underneath to reinforce the panel again. Unfortunately, I was not able to take a picture of it. 


Then I filled up the cracks with some body filler. 



Here’s a better shot of what has become of the signal lights – I would have to do something about this.. hmm…

We’re all set for painting! See how it goes on my next post! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment