Pages

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Lancer Project : Color Sanding and Buffing

I'm now almost finished with my Lancer project and I'm getting excited. :)


The paint now had enough time to dry and I can now sand and buff it. Since it has been sitting in the garage for quite some time now - I gave it a bath first to remove the all the dirt and dust - these might scratch and ruin the new paint job once I start sanding and buffing.


Time for some wet sanding - I use 800 and 1000 grit sandpaper to cut through the clear coat - I have to be careful not to be too aggresive since this is a budget paint job. Decent repsrays usually have at least 4-5 layers of clearcoat - really good ones have more. For this project - I was only able to afford two thin coats - just enough to give it a decent look. REMINDER: Even though I'll buff out the whole car - I've only sanded down the panels I've resprayed and not the entire car - my lancer had its fair share of buffing in the past and I'm not sure how much top coat is left.. better be safe than sorry :)


A regular stream of water helps in flushing all sanded down paint. We will end up with a dull finish after - not to worry - buffing will make it shinier than ever (if done properly) TIP: Some recommend using soapy water as it makes the sand paper glide more easily.


I'm still using the same Bril rubbing compound I've used in my Voxy project - I'm still trying to figure out the best technique in buffing. Some say yI should just spread the compound in the buffing pad while others say I should just put a small amount on the panel I'm buffing


For this project- I'm trying a new method. Fill the panel with small specks and buff out in one continous stroke. TIP: I later on realized I've placed too much rubbing compound on the doors :-D. REMINDER: Buff out one part of the car at a time as it will be difficult to buff the car once the rubbing compound dries up.


I have also included the windshield and windows in the buffing - this removes those nasty water marks :) Windshield and glass detailing cost a pretty penny so I've definitely saved money here hehe..Just be careful in buffing out glass as putting too much pressure and stress might break/scratch it :) REMINDER: I just buffed the old dull panels lightly to give them some gloss - being too agrresive in buffing with the old 16 y/o paint job (we've had the car since 1996) might do more harm than good :)

 

After buffing, I washed it with some mild carwash again to rinse off all the rubbing compound and show off the shine I've worked so hard for. I'll share pictures of the finished project soon :)

To see the other car (VW Bug) I've buffed out and for a detailed step by step of how I buff - please go to http://yesyoucanarchie.blogspot.com/2012/01/buffed-out-voxy.html Thanks!:)

No comments:

Post a Comment