Pages

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Window Type Aircon Installation Part 2

Now that I've secured the A/C in place, time to finish up this project.

 

Our unit did not come with any free framing so I had to come up with something to: 1. Hide the nasty edges and gaps and 2. to seal off that big hole left behind because of our smaller A/C unit. We have to patch everything up so that cool air won't escape.

 

To seal off the gaps - I decided to use the styro foam that secured the A/C in its box. My wife helped out with cutting it in shape and tucking it in every nook and cranny.


While she was busy filling the gaps - I had to come up with a make shift frame that would make everything presentable. I used the old marine plywood that had previously covered that big hole in the wall.

Test fit part number 1 - I don't have that much wood at hand so I had to make the frame in pieces.


As mentioned in my previous post - I'm not really a fan of concrete nails - so I had to drill out holes (using my trusty power drill) and secured the frame with some tox and screws. TIP: Take extra precaution when drilling holes in the wall - you might hit some electrical wiring and could lead to electrocution - Thanks to PHM gurus for reminding me )


This is much easier than using concrete nails :)


The frame is now complete - since I have a small A/C unit - I needed a big frame to compensate for that big hole.


Notice the masking tape at the sides? This is in preparation for paint - it would have been easier to remove the frame (they are just screwed in anyway) but since this project was done before our long weekend at my inlaws - I decided to paint it in place so I could just leave it to dry over the weekend and I wouldn't have to worry about putting it back in place once we get back :) TIP: Paint fumes are harmful to your health - always paint in a well ventilated area :)


This choco brown paint I had lying around is a perfect - it matches our cabinets and shelves!


The proper way to paint is to lay on a coat of primer first - but since I'm cheap - I go straight to the base coat :)


I guess the downside to not using primer is that you have to apply several coats of paint before getting an even color - we can clearly see the brush strokes - but no need to worry..


.. as several coats of paint will give it a nice and even finish. To finish off the seal - I used the gray insulating foam that came with the A/C package.


Time to remove the tape :)


Voila! Not bad for a part time handyman like me :)

Yes! You Can install your our Aircon unit! :)

4 comments:

  1. Nice work...How long did it take you to finish all of these...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Took me less than half a day to finish the installation - then less than an hour to paint the frames :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a lot of information regarding choosing the Best Window Installation Saint Paul. Thank you for the post.
    Window Installation Saint Paul

    ReplyDelete